The Banikanta College was established in January 1967 at the instance of Dr. M.N. Goswami and C. Das, the then Vice Chancellor and Registrar of Gauhati University respectively with the sole aim of catering to Teacher Education in the North Eastern Region of India. It was christened after the name of Dr.Banikanta Kakoti, the great pioneer, researcher and an intellectual giant of Assam. Mr. Radhakanta Das, a retired eminent Professor of Mathematics, took over the charge as the first Principal. After passing through the able hands of five eminent Principals the college was renamed as “Banikanta College of Teacher Education.”
The Government of Assam, with the sole aim of expansion of teacher education in the state, took over the college on 1st. April 1983. The college, after its affiliation under Gauhati University in 1967, was duly recognized by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) for conducting B.Ed. course and is now upgraded to the Institute of Advanced Studies in Education (IASE) as announced by the MHRD and the developmental works have started from the year 2005 accordingly by the Govt. of Assam. The present intake capacity of B.Ed. Course is 50 of each year (ie.1st & 2nd year Courses). Besides, the B.Ed. course, the two year D.El.Ed. (ODL) Course also was started from 2018. Most of the student trainees are in-service teachers deputed by the state government from different secondary schools of Assam.
However, The Banikanta College of Teacher Education (IASE-Guwahati) has successfully, completed 50 glorious years as a pioneer institute of teacher education. Ever since its inception, this institute has contributed towards producing renowned and dedicated teachers as well as teacher educators who have marked and paved a way for the teacher fraternity in the North Eastern Region of the country. This Golden Jubilee Celebration focuses on the issues and challenges of teacher education. Our vision : we, the Banikanta (IASE-Ghy) family strive continuously to strengthen teachers professionally, keeping the need of the hour in view, and also to develop the multidimensional roles of a “Teacher” and to mould the lives of students for their all round development.
The mission of Govt. Banikanta College of Teacher Education is fostering professionals graduates who will maximize the quality of education by development and facilitating the teachers and helping them to understand the cost effective use of teaching-learning materials. The institute also provides a strong foundation in the knowledge, innovation, integration and application of the methodology of educational, philosophical, psychological behavioural views which leads to the quality and enhancement of the teaching profession for the overall development of the nation.
Govt. Banikanta College of Teacher Education will be globally prominent in teacher education. Our graduates are efficient like any after Teachers from other TEI’s in the country, equally other graduates in educational expertise knowledge; and their ability to think broadly and able to adapt diverse educational environment.
• The quality and effectives of our Teacher-Trainees is our top priority.
• We have responsibility to assure that our graduates will safeguard the student in achieving education.
• The college encourages students, staff and faculty to help them grow professionally.
The Institutes of Advance Studies in Education (IASE) is a Centre of excellence in the preparation of teacher trainees consisting of both pre-service and in-service teachers for developing quality secondary education. Teacher Education Scheme has envisaged a renewed role for IASEs whereby their contribution would not be limited to teacher training but also evolve as Regional Resource Centre.
Role of Institute Of Advanced Studies In Education (IASE)
IASE to perform following functions –
- Pre-service Secondary teacher education programme (B.Ed.)
- In-service training of teacher trainers (mainly DIET faculty)
- Short-Term Training programmes for teacher educators of CTEs, DIET & Secondary Schools.
- Develop resource material for teachers and teacher educators
- Conduct advanced level fundamental and applied research and experimentation in education.
IASE would also set-up units/centres to do Research and Material development in –
- Curriculum Studies
- Pedagogic Studies
- Assessment and Evaluation
IASE would also act as Regional Resource Centre for various activities like –
- Development of curriculum and learning material
- Educational Planning and administration
- Development of Modules for Secondary School Teachers & Teacher-Educators.
Planning Approach & Methodology:
- IASE are being envisaged as the leading institution in the State which actively contributes in State policy making, high quality research and innovation, and standardizing best practices from the field.
- Each IASE would have to do a detailed mapping of teacher education institutions in the State, especially of CTEs and DIETs and align their activities in a way to complement and support the regional needs and preferences of the teacher educators and teachers.
- Professional development of teacher educators is top priority for IASE. The planning at IASE should involve various aspects such as skill development related to curriculum and pedagogy, effective decision making, use of ICT tools like computers, internet and communication in raising efficiency and gaining knowledge. The IASE should also look at ways and means of incentivizing good practices by taking them to national/international platform, create mechanism to sustain such practices and develop a system of cross-sharing.
- Research in IASE would have to be looked differently. The research would not only have to be limited to sectors such as Elementary and Secondary, but also in terms of equity, inclusion, Education curriculum, teaching-learning etc. IASEs are uniquely placed to generate inter-disciplinary research by inviting higher education teachers in other departments of universities to co-teach and co-supervise the teacher education research. More specifically, the IASEs can:
- Conduct pedagogic, sociological research related to teaching-learning
- Generate research on issues of equity and inclusion with respect to school and teacher education
- Provide an inter-disciplinary platform for academic exchange and production of research
- Carry out rigorous research exercise along with the concerned CTE/DIET to assess the needs of in-service programs.
Since the role of IASE is not merely to impart education training but also deals with management and training to educational administrators, IASE would have to reorient themselves from mere education institutions to more of education management institutions. The IASE would have to create a matrix of functions, people and resources to efficiently execute the intended tasks like training, content development, knowledge management etc. They would also have to add and develop human resources towards this renewed role.